HomeHistoryContact UsChurchWildlifeLandscapePast FamiliesBishop Richard Fox & Corpus Christi CollegeVillage & VillagersBraceby Books

Braceby & Sapperton Sunday School with the Vicar, Rev. Outram and his wife


In Back Lane before WWII
Villagers at the time of the 1982 Braceby Festival

The telephone box is "listed" so cannot be removed
The K6 style was introduced in the 1930s

Dwellings:  Hill House, White House, Dovecote Cottage, Manor Farm Cottage, Manor Farm, Laburnum Cottage, College Farm, Field House, Saddleback Cottage, Back Lane House, Church Farm, and Barn House
In the middle of the 19th century there were 33 dwellings, according to the 1861 census.  Some of those still remaining were built as 2, or even 4, houses.

Braceby is a designated Conservation village with 11 listed items.  These include the Church, several houses, a dovecote, the telephone box and a water pump.  
There is one working farm - Manor Farm.  In the 1960s there were three.  The farm comprises approximately 600 acres.

In the 1940s there was a tarmaced lane, known as Back Lane or The Lane leading to several houses.   Gradually all the houses except the one nearest to the Village Street have been demolished by Welby Estate who owned them and now the lane is no more than a track.  The last building to be demolished was a row of three cottages which had not been lived in for 50 years or so.

Once a row of three family homes in Back Lane
these cottages were demolished in 1998